Supartz Joint Fluid Therapy is a viscosupplemental injection that is used to treat osteoarthritis in knee joints. Viscosupplementation involves the injection of a gel-like substance called hyaluronan, or hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a natural substance found in joint cartilage. It acts like a cushion in the knee joint during movement, helping to lubricate the joint space and absorb shock. Hyaluronate injections help to supplement the viscous properties of synovial fluid, which is a natural lubricant that reduces friction of articular cartilage in the joint.
The difference between a normal knee and osteoarthritis knee
1. Normal cartilage provides no friction between bones.
2. High concentration of hyaluronan cushions and lubricates joint.
3. Normal, healthy bone.
4. Eroded cartilage may cause bones to scrape against each other.
5. Low concentration in synovial fluid makes knee joint vulnerable.
6. Bone spurs form (osteophytes).
Supartz Joint Fluid Therapy (JFT) is a FDA-approved, viscosupplemental therapy that can help relieve pain and improve mobility for patients suffering from knee OA. The purpose of Supartz JFT is to supplement poor-quality hyaluronan in the painful knee with highly purified hyaluronan. The Supartz injectable solution is made from highly purified sodium hyaluronate acid that is extracted from rooster combs. These are harvested from roosters that have been certified via pre-and post-mortem veterinary inspection. It is an ideal option for patients who have failed to respond to more conservative therapy, non-pharmacologic therapy, or simple analgesics.
How Supartz Joint Fluid Therapy is performed?
- First, local anesthetic is applied to numb the patient’s knee.
- Fluid from the affected knee joint is removed with a process called anthrocentesis.
- Then, Supartz JFT is injected into the knee joint space.
Most patients little or no discomfort during the injection. It is recommended that patients avoid strenuous activities for a few days following the injection.
Articles on Viscosupplementation
Mechanism of Action – Sodium Hyaluronate
If you need an evaluation or consultation, please contact us at (201) 729-0001 and ask for one of our specialists. Our conveniently located clinics are in West Orange, Aberdeen, Lyndhurst, and Fort Lee. We offer weekday and weekend appointments.